Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Log In to Library Resources
When using library eResources off-campus, you may be prompted to log in with your full student email address and password. If you have trouble, please visit our Troubleshooting page.
Welcome to the Music Research Guide
To find articles, try some of the databases below. You can also search for books, eBooks, and websites using the tabbed pages above.
Getting Started on a Research Paper
- Read your assignment guidelines carefully before beginning your research. Decide what kinds of resources you need and where you might find them.
- Search databases to find articles from journals, magazines, newspapers, and other media which is usually found behind a paywall. The library subscribes to databases and provides access to you at no extra cost!
- Read journal articles, which are found in scholarly publications written by researchers and experts in the field. Journals and their articles can be found in databases. You can usually search for ones that are "peer reviewed" by other experts.
- Evaluate websites before using them as resources in your paper. Find out when, by whom, and for what purpose the information was written. Yes, sometimes you have to do research on your research!
- Cite your sources. Find out whether you will need to use APA or MLA style to cite sources in your paper, and be sure to keep track of your sources so people (yourself included) can find them again.
Here are just a few of the databases you might use to find articles.
Academic Search Complete [EBSCO] This link opens in a new window
Comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications. The majority of full text titles are in native (searchable) PDF format.
Films on Demand This link opens in a new window
A web-based digital video delivery platform that provides streaming videos from Films Media Group anytime, anywhere, making available thousands of videos for in-class use and remote viewing.
Gale EBooks This link opens in a new window
A collection of eBook encyclopedias on nearly every subject, available 24/7 through the Gale Virtual Reference Library platform.
JSTOR This link opens in a new window
Includes core journals in economics, history, political science, and sociology, and humanities, as well as ecology, mathematics, and statistics. Also features a collection of free images.